First UMC Family,
Thank you for all the ways that you are serving one another and our community. Here are some of the service opportunities in town that I’ve learned about recently: finances, time, and donations.
I encourage you to send me what you’ve been doing so we can share those with others.
Be well. Be safe. Be connected.
The School Street Food Pantry
The School Street Food Pantry remains open and college students can pick up pre-packaged food boxes on Fridays, 4-6. Bring a valid student ID and enter thru door B on School Street. The Blessing Box (open 24-hours) is attached to our garage on the west side. Anyone in the community is welcome to get items from there.
Here’s how you can support these ministries:
- Donations to the Blessing Box. Since this is outside, items need to be able to withstand the temperature changes. Donations can be dropped off at any time.
- Donate food/toiletries to the School Street Food Pantry. Contact 452-2096 or firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a time to drop off items.
- Contribute financially to the Pantry (giving link on this website or by mail). If using the website, click on Mission and specify the pantry
The mission of Peace Meal Senior Nutrition is to provide quality meals for healthier lives. They help seniors improve their nutrition, sustain their independence and enhance the quality of their life by providing meals, fellowship and connections to other needed services. To volunteer to deliver, call 1-800-543-1770 or (217) 345-1800.
Volunteers may be the only human contact some people have in their day.
Mid Central Community Action
Financial Donations supporting these programs:
*Mayors Manor – permanent supportive housing for 26 people who were formerly homeless with a disability.
*Undocumented immigrants with rental assistance.
Another way to give:
*Domestic Violence Hotline: 309-827-7070
Domestic Violence has increased. Know this number so that you can share it with someone in need.
Create a Video Devotion
*1-2 minutes in length
*Share how you are finding strength & how God is guiding you.
Send to: email@example.com
From a Church Member
Many of us are looking for ways to help others in this time of “shelter in place”. Here’s some things that we have done.
1. Send the money for the haircut you missed to your stylist, barber or beautician.
2. Send the money to the housecleaning service that didn’t come to clean. You will benefit from doing the cleaning yourself.
3. Support local businesses by availing yourself of carry out services.
4. If you need to replace an appliance or buy some plants, call your local business to make the purchase. They will bring your purchase to your vehicle.
5. Remember to pay on your church pledge.
6. Give of yourself, call the American Red Cross and make an appointment to give a pint of blood. Think of the many Individuals you may help.
We have done these actions and it is a small part of what is needed, but you will feel you helped and you will feel better.